Luke Pepper as The Edge (The Story of a Custom-Made Skull/Beanie Cap)

LUKE - EDGE - U2-2

Interested in a custom made “Edge” beanie? I am no longer making them, but you can contact my friend Courtenay. She has taken over the business, original patterns included. Contact her via email: BeaniesByCourt at gmail dot com.

Luke Pepper from the U2 tribute band in the UK, U2-2, contacted me to see if I would make him a skull cap. In his tribute band, Luke is The Edge, who always wears a beanie or skull cap. Here’s what Luke wanted:

I’m trying to find a skull cap that fits as good as The Edge’s from U2. He has form fitting skull caps like your boy is modeling and they’re thinner than wool, with no bumpy seams at the top. Would it be possible to make me one, with view to me ordering a few to keep me going on stage?

This was a fun project – though not without challenges! Imagine fitting someone for a hat overseas. I tried to talk Luke into a lightweight wool (you know how I love wool) for the fabric, but in the end we settled on a black, ribbed 100% cotton. And I’m glad. It worked well, surprising me even. With that fabric, I proceeded to make a succession of trial hats – the first hat was too long, the second too short, but the third fit. Luke sent a picture over to show me how the third hat turned out (see picture). And here’s what he wrote:

Thank you, Wardee, for your help, time and patience. After three trials, you’ve made the perfect beanie hat. I’ve been shopping around in Britain, Ireland and all over the net and nobody has been able to supply me with the correct headware. I’ve had the hat on for a while and been singing with it/moving about a bit and it stays put. :) You can’t buy anything as good as this. Apart from now having a custom made Edge hat, I’ve found another lovely person across the water to keep in touch with. I wish you and your family (and goats) a great time ahead, with peace, security and fun. ~Luke

Since my normal life is so predictable – family, school, animals, healthy cooking – I chuckle because a hat I made is going on stage in the UK. I may be making Luke a couple of backup hats later on, but for now, life is back to routine. Umm… no! Not with goats around.

Want your own custom made “Edge” beanie? Although I am no longer making them, you can contact my friend Courtenay. She has taken over the business, original patterns included. Contact her via email: BeaniesByCourt at gmail dot com.

Comments

1. Wow. Too cool. Remember, I knew you BEFORE you became a famous skullcap maker. :-)

I am reading an older book I accidentally found at the library. Title is something like never kiss a goat on the lips. It’s about a family back in the early 70′s who chucked city life and moved to an old homestead (2 acres) just out of the city. It’s pretty funny reading so far. The goats make me think of you!

Have a great day! Love, Mary

2. Thank you, Wardee, for your help, time and patience. After three trials, you’ve made the perfect beanie hat. I’ve been shopping around in Britain,Ireland and all over the net and nobody has been able to supply me with the correct headware. I’ve had the hat on for a while and been singing with it/moving about a bit and it stays put. :) You can’t buy anything as good as this. Apart from now having a custom made Edge hat, I’ve found another lovely person across the water to keep in touch with. I wish you and your family (and goats) a great time ahead, with peace, security and fun.

3. Sangeeta says:

Wow!!!!

4. Jim Nicolai says:

Wow! You should go into business for yourself. Would you be willing to make me one? I’ve been looking for the same thing — even though I don’t play in a U2-tribute band. Same cotton ribbed idea…Luke’s right — there’s nothing like this on the internet…

Jim

• Jim – Hey, thanks! I’m going to email you. I wrote this comment before and turned you down, but after speaking with my husband last night, I’m willing to consider the job! Thanks for writing.

5. Wardee!! How awesome! I’m not one bit surprised – you are one talented lady. :)
    .-= Traci Knoppe´s last blog ..How to Customize Free WordPress Themes =-.

6. Thanks, Traci! :) Back at ya!

7. Would you consider making one for me…we do some u2 tribute music as well and the acrylics are just way to hot. Much appreciated.
    .-= Bob L´s last blog ..Demo: Concept Attainment Strategy =-.

8. Prometheus says:

Wardee, I’m interested in a Edge-style beanie as well. Both those other guys are right–you can’t find anything like it on the internet. What do you charge? And do you have any photos of the ones you’ve done for adults?

Thanks,
    Prometheus

9. Andy Ronayne says:

Wardee, I hate to say “me too?”, but would you be able to advise how much you would charge to make a Edge-style skull cap too? Actually I would like a couple…

I’m a musician in Canberra, Australia, playing guitar and bass, and aside from being bald (I shave my head rather than pretend I have hair), I am also covering several U2 songs.

I look forward to your response.

Sincerely

Andy

10. Hello there! Like so many others, I, too, have been scouring the internet for a true Edge-style beanie and have been coming up with nothing–except your site here! Wow, great work! I was looking because I’m hoping to be Edge for Halloween and am wondering if it would be possible to order one from you and, if so, how much it would be, etc. If not, I understand, but thanks for sharing the cool story of your cap nonetheless!

11. Wardee,
    I’ve been looking for a cap like this too. Please email me!
    Thx.

12. What an awesome idea! My husband is a HUGE U2 fan and is balding just like the EDGE. I would love to have a hat like that for him made.
    Would you do it?

13. Wardee, what a good article and nice find.

I’ve been looking to find a Edge-style skull cap for my band. Would be honored if you could make me one.

Hope to hear from you.

Thanks

14. Wardee, I’m also interested in the Edge hat. Please email me. Thank you!

15. Bobby Zikes says:

Me too!
    I’m a musician in Austin, Texas.
    I really need one (or more) of those.

Thx!

16. Been looking everywhere for a beanie like this. Would love a few if you’re still making them.

Thanks,
    Jon

17. Hi Wardee, I’m also very much interested in purchasing several of these caps as well. I’ve been looking all over for such a cap and have had no luck at all.

Thanks, Kevin

18. Hi, i’m also interested into this kind of beanie. Can you email me please ?
    Thanks

Pier

19. Wardee,

I’ve looked everywhere for these things! Would you be willing to make me a couple? I’ll pay you handsomely for your trouble.

Best,
    Andrew

20. Pier and Andrew ~ Please take a look at the pricing and ordering guidelines, and then contact me following the instructions provided.

21. hey, i’m looking for a hat like that. e-mail me?

22. Wardee, Please email me too re: the beanie

23. Michael E. Schumacher says:

good day,

just saw your website and would love to order a “edge” beanie…do you still take orders for these? Hope so…..

Mike

24. Jason Micheli says:

Hi, are you still able to take orders for more skullcaps? I saw on Etsy that you’re sold out.

25. Well, it looks like someone just bought that hat. :) So I relisted it.

For anyone else who’s interested, I’ll always try to keep a current listing at etsy, if you prefer to purchase there. Visit:

If my shop doesn’t show one available, just let me know and I’ll add a fresh listing.

These are custom hats, so just because one is listed doesn’t mean it is made yet. :)

26. And of course you can always purchase right here, by following the instructions contained in this document:

27. I just ordered one through Etsy. Thanks so much! Also, my head measurement is 7 3/4 and I have short/thin hair.

28. An update: I am no longer able to to fulfill hat orders. I am sorry.

29. Hi will you be making more hats

30. I’ve had your site bookmarked for months… and have waited too long to order! If you start taking orders again, I’ll be the first in line.

31. Greetings – Have found you in the global search for the perfect headcovering,
    Your Hat! Am a professional musician, and have not found it in my travels.
    PLEASE, tell me you can make me a couple of these wonderful tops. Thank you very kindly. God Bless, Art.

32. Hi,

When you start making the edge beannie cap again please e-mail me. I am looking to purchase 4.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Best Regards,

Bill

33. Marco Salvatore says:

Hi Wardee,
    I really need a skullcap like the edge..

Is it possible??

Thank you very much.

34. Hello Wardee, Edge does have a point. I have been from one store to another , looked all over the internet and can not find the hat I like. I work for a staging company that does all the major concerts and we have U2 coming to our city (Winnipeg,Manitoba,Canada in May 2011. I have been studying the 360 tour staging and noticed Edge with this beanie and I like it. Now I see that you don’t make them any more , well if you could keep me in mind I would be very grateful. Thank you, CJ

35. I too would love a hat like this!

Thank you!

-Chris

36. Awesomus Maximus says:

Just stumbled across your site here while scouring the internet for a “cap that Edge wears”. If you happen to start taking orders again in the future, please don’t hesitate to email me. Thank you. =)

37. Hi,
    I would love to buy a beanie like the Edge’s!

Are you making them again?

Thanks

38. Hey, I was wondering if you could help me with making hats. I am making some fleece hats for some shelters in my hometown, but the all keep coming out bumpy on top. Could you maybe share with me how to get the hats smooth on the seam? Your sewing help would greatly be appreciated I am using the pattern on http://www.p2designs.com/images/patterns/EasyFleeceBeanie.html
    Thanks!

39. John McCloskey says:

would you let me know if you would make me a beanie? your humble servant

40. MARCELO CRUZ OLGUIN says:

hey!!I can´t find the one that fits me perfect.I need it !!….Everybody in facebook tell me I look like The Edge!U2 is coming to Chile!!…I have the ticket!….greetings from CHILE!!!

41. Hi Wardee, could you tell me please where to find this skull cap please? This is the perfect one that i’m searching for many monthes! Thanks!

42. Please, please can you also make me a beanie like The Edge has?

43. Thanks to everyone who has inquired if I am still making these hats. I am not. :)

But the good news is, you can contact my friend Courtenay. She has taken over the business, original patterns included. Contact her via email: BeaniesByCourt at gmail dot com.

44. Where do I place order?

45. Hi Wardee,
    I am a 44-year old mom who was just recently diagnosed with breast cancer. I had my first chemotherapy treatment 2 days ago and am anticipating losing my hair in 2-3 weeks. I have been trying to find a pattern to make myself some hats to wear while I am bald that will make me look chic not sick, and yours is perfect. I understand that you are no longer making them. Have you ever considered selling your pattern? Would you be willing to share it with me for my own personal use?

• Hi, Kellie — I passed all my info on to Courtenay and she can make a hat for you. BeaniesByCourt at gmail dot com I’m sorry it’s been so long since you posted. I don’t often get over here!

46. Hello Wardee,

my name is Alex Bolte. I fill the “Edge part” in the german located U2 Tribute band “U2-Experience”
    And I understand Luke so well in not finding the proper beanies…
    Last year in november I contacted courtenay and requested to buy some of their custom made beanies.
    Unfortunaly I never got a reply. Maybe she didn’t receive my mails?
    I’d be glad if you could contact her in my behalf for my request?

Thanks in advance and best regards
    Alex Bolte

47. Hi Wardee,
    Not sure why everyone is asking you to make them, if you’ve sold the business to Courtney?
    Anyhoo, I am in need of your amazingly accurate beanies also!
    can you hook me up?