I finished my prairie dress yesterday. It had been waiting for the last week for me to put the sleeves in to see if the overall fit was a go. It is a go. It fits perfectly. I am really pleased because I have been eager, on my journey to improve my sewing skills, to complete a successful alteration.
These are the alterations I made to the pattern (McCalls 4548):
- reduce collar thickness
- increase waistband thickness to 2″
- reduce cuff thickness and circumference
- reduce width of shoulder span, front and back bodice (change shoulder point)
- raise underarm point, front and back bodice
- reduce width of chest, front and back bodice
- reduce fullness of sleeve, everywhere, drastically
Now it is time to finish the girls’ dresses. They’ll help me but I’ll have to sew the difficult parts. I went to bed last night thinking about adding collars to their dresses. I’ll keep thinking about that.