Reminder: If your name is Martha, Amal, Jenan, Luca, Aila, Judy, Jenn, Sara or Sandy – please DO NOT read anymore!
Flora from Cabin at Wildflower Meadow shared this idea with me. I plan to sell these at the upcoming Holiday Craft Fair and also to give them to the ladies and girls in my family for Christmas gifts. So far, I have made 10 tote bags. They are awesome! I think I’ll have to keep one for myself.
Vintage Fabric Tote Bags (Click to see the original pattern.)
I have been purchasing remnants and sheets from thrift stores for months. My friend and I went through it all on Sunday — I can probably make 50 unique bags from the fabric I have! My goal is to have them all be a little trendy, a little classy, and a little surprising in the fabric combinations.
The bags are made from two coordinating fabrics of your choice, perhaps a floral and a stripe. Or a floral and a solid.
Changes I have made to the above linked pattern:
- The pattern shows that each strap is made from one or the other of the fabrics. I made each strap from both fabrics (one fabric for each side of each strap).
- My bag size is 19″ x 14″ (cut (2) 20″ x 15″ rectangles of each fabric).
- I am orienting the bags in a wider-rather-than-longer orientation.
- My finished straps are 1-1/2″ inch wide, rather than 3/4″.
- My finished straps are 18″ (cut strips 20″ long) long for a short-handled bag, or 28″ long (cut strips 30″ long) for a long-handled bag.
- I added a layer of interfacing in each strap.
- I attached the straps 4 to 5 inches in from each side seam.
- I added a pocket to the outside and inside liner of the bag. The finished pockets are 7″ x 6″ (cut 2 rectangles that are 8″ x 7″ for each pocket).
- I squared the bottom of each bag by by sewing diagonally across each bottom corner (2-1/2″ in) of both the inner lining and outer bag.
With the changes I made, each bag takes about an hour, including cutting time. A. and B. have each made a tote for their piano books.
Update 11-2-06: Pictures of 39 completed Vintage Tote Bags for Craft Fair. (Use the same password.)